Monday, September 20, 2010

Homemade Challah

When I think back to what I enjoy most about the Jewish Holidays, I always remember the good food! Especially on Rosh Hashanah, when its perfectly acceptable to dip everything in honey (and not just when I go to fast food restaurants - fries dipped in honey are so delicious!). However, the BEST thing about the holidays is the challah. Since I can't get Ukrops round challah's down here - and I've never even seen a challah in the Harris Teeter - I decided to make my own this year. I ended up making a total of 4 loaves since the recipe that I found makes two - and they are almost gone!


This bread was actually super easy - it only rises twice, so you can make it in one night. I think that it tastes better the second day.... we've been living off of toasted challah the past two weeks (even Bailey loves it!)! I prefer my challah with raisins in them, which I added right before the knead step. The second time around, I ended up adding honey into the dough, which I thought made the bread tastier and also slightly firmer. I didn't measure, but just squeezed a bunch in there so hopefully I can replicate it next time!

Also, I left off the egg wash both times - once I forgot, the other time I was out of eggs! I didn't miss it - I actually prefer my breads without an egg wash.


Challah - adapted from bonappetit.com

1/2 cup warm water
2 tablespoons dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar

5 large eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
squeeze honey (optional)
2/3 cup warm water
7 1/2 cups (about) all-purpose flour

1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon water

Stir together 1/2 cup warm water, yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in a separate bowl. Let yeast mixture stand at room temperature until foamy.

Using an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, beat 5 eggs until blended. Add oil, salt, 3/4 cup sugar and honey (if you want) and beat until pale yellow and slightly thickened, about 4 minutes. Add 2/3 cup warm water and mix. Add yeast mixture mix. Remove whisk and fit mixer with dough hook.

Add flour 1 cup at a time until dough is smooth, beating well after each addition and making sure you don't add too much flour - you want the dough to not stick to your hands, but not be dry. At this point, the dough was overflowing my bowl, so I split it up into two equal pieces. Then beat dough on medium speed until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, adding flour by tablespoonfuls if sticky (Add raisins here). Turn out onto floured surface and knead 2 minutes.

Lightly oil large bowl. Add dough, turning to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap, then with clean kitchen towel. Let dough rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.

Divide each dough portion into 3 equal pieces and roll each piece into 9-inch-long rope on a lightly floured surface. Braid 3 ropes together; pinch ends together to seal and fold under to make a nice end. Repeat with remaining dough pieces, forming 2 braids. Place braids on a baking sheet and cover with a towel . Let rise in warm area until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400°F. If you want, whisk yolk with 1 tablespoon water to blend and brush dough with egg mixture. Bake 10 minutes at 400, then reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Bake until bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on bottom, about 30 minutes. Transfer loaves to rack and cool completely. Eat and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment